CERCLE SAINT DAGOBERT II, association internationale
What vestiges of Dagobert’s reign can still be seen at Stenay ?
Hardly anything, at least on the surface.
To overcome this absence of visible remains, an association called “Cercle Saint-Dagobert II” was fonned in 1983. lts aims are:
– To promote knowledge of the history of Merovingians.
– To perpetuate the memory of the last king of Austrasia, Dagobert II.
– To study the diffèrent places related to Merovingian history and
to make the results of their researches known. (Extracts from the statutes).
– The Cercle Saint-Dagobert II which maintains the public footpaths in the Forest of Woëvre, recommends the « King Dagobert Route», which, like the «Jeanne d’Arc Route» and the « Mirabelle Route», is set in the North Meuse contryside.
The route is full of history, legends and monuments waiting to be discovered.
– It is a 110 km round trip that can be completed in 4 days, stopping at 3 gîtes on the way.
– Ifyou prefer, you can do the recommended short route.
– Sorne path are not marked, but they will be in the near
– To make the best of this journey, it is also advisable to have with you the corresponding IGN maps.
2. The Saint-Dagobert remembrance room:
– to commemorate the memory of the last Merovingian king of the mighty realm of Austrasia, DAGOBERT II (652-679). This sovereign, living then at Stenay, died by assassination not far from his residence. In the exhibition you will find a number of documents dealing with the legend and the history of this king, who was later beatified by the Church.
– to give the visitor a short introduction to “Merovingian times” in order to put Dagobert II back into his own context, with the help of some artefacts such as pottery, scramasaxes, coins, fibulae, antefixes, buckle¬plates, calf shields, etc. as well as prints illustrating this period of our Merovingian ancestors which is so far back and so little-known.
The visitor will be welcome to buy various souvenirs and brochures, among others, the complete collection of “Merovingian Studies”, published by the Cercle Saint-Dagobert.
3. The crypt, under the remembrance room, with:
* the Saint-Dagobert Gateway
* the mysterious stone
3 place Poincaré, 55700 STENAY – France
Tel 03 29 80 48 04 ou 03 29 80 48 19