Fort Douaumont is the mightiest of the forts surrounding Verdun. Captured in a surprise attack four day after the beginning of the Battle of Verdun, it was occupied by the German Army for eight months. They used it as shelter for their troops and as essential back-up for their ongoing offensive. Despite several attempts at retaking the fort, it was not recaptured until 24 October 1916.
Historical films and photographs, archival documents, commentaries and eyewitness accounts give visitors with a multimedia guide more insight into the history of this major battlefield site. See the barracks room, the 155 mm gun turret and the German cemetery, the last resting-place of more than 600 German soldiers.