The World Centre for Peace, Liberty and Human Rights (Centre Mondial de la Paix, des Libertes et des Droits de l’Homme) is housed in the luxurious archbishop’s palace in Verdun, described by Saint-Simon in his memoirs, as the most splendid such palace in the whole of France.
Designed in 1724 by Robert de Cotte, Louis XV’s senior architect, the entrance, courtyard, gardens and ceremonial apartments now make this a supreme example of French Classical architecture. Over the past twenty years, it has been a center of excellence as a memorial to the First World War (1914-18) and Franco-Prussian War (1870-71). It hosts exhibitions, acts as a place for meetings and discussions (talks, concerts, literary events …), and is a player in the business tourism sector thanks to its reception rooms catering for 20 to 300 guests.
> There are 5 visitors’ trails.
> School groups: instructors and educational workshops.
Place Monseigneur Ginisty
Tel.:+ 33 (0)3 29 86 55 00
Text: Practical guide – CDT Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse