The village of Vauquois was caught up in mine warfare and razed to the ground in February 1915 during the bitter fighting that totally changed its landscape. Nowadays, people have complete access to the hillside, the Butte de Vauquois overlooking the impressive craters created by explosive charges and the restored trenches on both the French and German sides.
Guided tours of the underground passages in which the soldiers lived require advance booking and the payment of a minimal subscription to the association responsible for the site. Numbers are limited for safety reasons and also to preserve the site.
Association Les Amis de Vauquois 55270 YAUQUOIS
Tel.:+ 33 (0)3 29 80 73 15
Allow 2 hrs for the visit.
Guided tours available with advance booking.
Unrestricted access to the above ground site.
Text: Practical guide - CDT Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse